electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
IM7 Amplifier Board Repair

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PacMan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: IM7 Amplifier Board Repair Reply with quote

Hey everybody!

Anyway, I added a subwoofer output to my Altec Lansing IM7 and also added a potentiometer to the output because I stupidly tapped into the speaker level output connected to the built in sub. Anyway, the way I wired the potentiometer allowed the subwoofer amp to short and stop working.

At first the thing would just shut itself off after a split second of playing music so i turned it on and was testing voltages across various points on the amp board (If I sound like I don't know what I'm doing then you guessed right) and one of the subwoofer amps HEXFETs caught on fire and then the rest of the unit started working again. I didn't want to throw it away because they aren't that cheap and 85% of the thing is still working. The only thing that doesn't work is the subwoofer amplifier, everything else works perfectly.

I replaced the part that caught on fire (one of the two IRF7379 on that part of the amp) and it sort of works again, but the subwoofer makes a lot of cracking noises when turned up loud enough to hear it, at low levels it sounds fine. Some other parts around it also look burned but I have no idea what they do. One of them says "KA2" and the other says "Z 2".

Here is a shot of the 7379 that I replaced, the soldering is so ugly because the solder pads under the burned area fell off.

And could it be the other IRF7379 HEXFET causing the problems? I bought several of them in case I messed up in the soldering process. Any input is appreciated, Thanks!.
Ryukurai

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The KA2 is a switching diode with the anode on pin 1 and cathode on pin 3.

[-----]
1 2

It's an MMBD4148, which is the SMD equivalent of a 1N4148 (75V, 300mA, 4nS).

The Z2 is probably a 5.2V Zener. I can't be positive because that particular family covers a lot of voltages (the Z2 should be 5.2V, but, YMMV). It's the same pinout as the MMDB4148.

Hope that helps in the future Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия