electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
How do I stop my TV losing its screen colour?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Electronics General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jemshkoj

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: How do I stop my TV losing its screen colour? Reply with quote

Every time I turn my TV on, the screen is very pink and green. I have wafted some magnets over the screen to bring the colour back but it keeps doing it. How do I stop it from happening?
Pentode

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear... never ever use magnets, you've probably made the fault worse or masqueraded the original fault.

You should always use a degaussing tool or at least a Wheller type solder gun and simply used the magnetic field they create to produce the eddy current for the heating tip.

In use you wave the side of the gun over the screen gradually moving away from it as far as it lead allows before releasing the soldering guns 'trigger'.

We could be talking about a tube defect or more than likely it will be the degaussing posistor that has failed... this is the usual thing to look at first - sometime when taken out you can shake them and hear them rattle.

A posistor is a negative thermistor in series with a positive thermistor, they run warm and the action is-:

At switch on it will be a very low resistance thus allowing a high current to flow through the degaussing coil around the tubes screen, as the posistor heats up the current falls to a very low level thus stopping the current flow through the coil - this demagnetizes the screen, the action being is that the magnetic field decreases with time and DOES NOT end rapidly.

This is a very common problem, you usually see coloured blotches or a coloured patch around one or more corners of the screen.

There tube shadow mask can also distort giving the same effect, had one brand new Sony telly had a 'perfect rainbow' due fault within the tube - the electrodes I suspect had become disorientated!

So I would certainly check the degaussing posistor as a first step these are very cheap indeed BUT YOU MUST use the correct one because it represents a safety hazard.

Another cause may well be the tube itself wanting replacement or a boost at least, could also be faulty RGB drivers - the fault here would be an even coloured cast and not blotch or blothcy.
jts1957

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF your set IS a LCD or plasma, you can ignore Pentode's post.
Pentode

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to jts1957.... I assumed it was a CRT type - never give LCD/Plasmas a thought.

Duh, sin bin for me!

Dave
Tron2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya don't use magnets try using a degaussing coil to degauss for crt types
Timtom28

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there, iam new here, i did the same mistake with the magnets, and now i can throw my lcd to the trash Sad
I wish i read this before i did it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Electronics General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия