electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Computer shuts down abnormally!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Computer and office equipment repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maverick

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found what you were talking about. I had to go into the BIOS and disable a feature that allowed a pci device to power up the computer. Thanks for the info.

Now I will monitor and see if my computer continues to reboot on its own so I will know if to continue troubleshooting. Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget to check your powersupply. If you built it yourself, is the supply big enough for the hardware you have installed? Most or all drives have their consumption written on them.
maverick

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's the power supply. It doesn't lose power, it just reboots on it's own! It seems that it does this alot when I'm connected to the internet, I'm still trying to narrow it down to this though. Maybe it's my modem playing games or maybe I have an abnormal telephone line connected to it that I use to dial up with. This problem is really annoying me now because I would be right in the middle of something important and the computer Reboots on it's own!
cleggy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject: try safe mode first Reply with quote

ok
its usually a problem with drivers
to ensure this try starting pc in safe mode you press key F8 when pc boots
if you have no problems then you have to identify where the problem is

this is a bind and is by elimination only

uninstall all your stuff then install it one at at time and reboot pc after every install whether it is software or hardware ie printer scanner etc

if you get the error at least you can be certain what is the problem item
then uninstall it and search on internet for any updates or updated drivers before reinstalling it

sorry but its amatter of elimination to find the cause before attempting to find the solution

pc expert
maverick

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks cleggy. I was trying to avoid the elimination process but i guess it's the only way out. I will try and will post my results.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the powersupply is not normal it generates a reset signal to the processor.
Go into controlpanel, system, hardware, devicemanager and look for any red crosses or yellow exclamation marks. if you have exclamation marks, double click it and see what it says. You can disable the device (it will then have a red cross) which is easier than taking it out of the computer
Take the cover off and look at the fan on your processor, if it is full of dust, take the fan off carefully and vacuum out the cooling fins with a brush attachment. Make sure the fan turns easily and no cables are obstructing it. Make sure the fan in the powersupply is working too.
Make sure your firewall is working properly and that you do not have any malware on your computer. Alt Ctrl Del and see what processes are running on your computer
AVG should not cause this problem on it's own.
gazzza

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem and i took out one of my sticks of ram and it worked fine
maverick

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying a different modem right now. Haven't had the problem so far but will continue to monitor.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't take out your memory, download Goldmemory from the internet and TEST your memory. Smile

Find your modem manufacturer and download the correct drivers for your operating system. FCC ID, or at worst the chip manufacturer.

There is a bios setting, PCI Slot Configuration, 'PNP OS' should be YES (Windows does this) 'Controlled By' should be AUTO, and 'Reset configuration Data', set it to yes or enabled. This will reset your configuration and let windows handle the interrupt requests. These settings sometimes go away if you select 'Load Setup Defaults'.

Don't forget to check the Device Manager if you haven't already.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: re floppy drive Reply with quote

the connector for the floppy is standard BUT
there is a red wire in the ide cable which must be the beside the red wire on the power cable.
if the power cable is on the left side at the back of the floppy then often the ide cable is right beside it,.
BUT if the power cable is on left side and there is a space between that and the ide the red cabble should be on the right side at the opposite edge

in other words the ide cable is sometimes upside down,
otherwise the bios will not detect it
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Computer and office equipment repairs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия